Paying your rent and any charges should be your top priority, and regardless of how you pay, you are responsible for ensuring that these are paid in full, and on time.

Non-payment of rent, service charges or any other charge could lead to us obtaining a County Court Judgement against you and/or you losing your home.

You can find information on this page about paying your rent, welfare reform & benefits, money advice, and how to check your rent statement.

Changes to how you manage your account

We have made some changes to the way you manage your account.

You do not need to log into your account now to pay your rent. However, you will need to register to create a new account or log into your existing account to view your rent statement.

Pay your rent online

It is quick and easy to pay your rent online. You just need your agreement reference number and your postcode.


Other payment methods

For other payment methods and to set up a direct debit, where your rent is paid to us on a regular basis, see below.

See your rent statement

Viewing your rent statement is quick and easy. It allows you to check it whenever you like. You just need to register with us initially and then each time you want to see your rent statement you will need to log in.

Once you have logged in you can pay your rent without needing your agreement reference number.


Direct Debit is one of the simplest ways to pay your rent. It is easy to set up, it's more convenient and gives you greater control over your money.

Have your agreement reference number and debit card to hand, you can use our automated service or speak to one of our Customer Managers by calling us.

We offer a swipe card to pay you rent, in association with Allpay. It’s quick and free to use  at any Post Office or Paypoint outlet. Contact us for more information.

Service charges

Depending on the home you have, you may be asked to pay a service charge in addition to your rent. The service charge is different from your rent because it is used to pay for any services or benefits that are shared between you and your neighbours. Refer to your tenancy agreement for details of the services included. If you think you will have problems making a payment or have any questions about your rent please contact your Housing Officer

Rent free weeks

The next rent free weeks are (if applicable to you):

24 December       31 December       25 March 2019

You may only take advantage of these weeks if you have a clear rent account. If there are arrears on your account you must continue to make payments in line with your agreement or the terms of your court order..

Welfare reform and benefits

To help you to work out what benefits you are entitled to use the government benefits calculator here:


Housing benefit

You may qualify for help towards paying your rent through Housing benefit which is paid by your local council. Please contact them to establish if you are eligible to make a claim. It is available to help people in low-paid employment and people not in work. You will be responsible for providing all the information that your local council asks for in assessing your Housing benefit claim, and it is very important that you claim as soon as you can. Any entitlement will start from the day you submit your claim. You are also responsible for telling the council when your circumstances change. Remember - even if you receive Housing benefit, you're still responsible for ensuring that you pay your rent.

Universal credit

Universal credit is a new benefit which supports people who are out of work or on a low income. It replaces a number of benefits including Housing benefit. If your payment includes help towards your rent, you will be responsible for making sure this money is paid to us. For more information and to claim online go to the government’s website or call the Universal Credit Helpline on 0345 600 0723. If you need further help or are unable to make an online claim, contact your local job centre or council. If you are receiving Universal Credit, please contact your Housing Officer by calling us to let them know how you will be paying your rent.

Bedroom tax

Bedroom tax, also known as removal of the spare room subsidy or under occupancy charge, is a change to the Housing Benefit, or Housing Element of Universal Credit entitlement that states your payment for housing will be reduced if you are deemed to have a spare bedroom/s. You will be affected if you are of working age, between 16 and 64 years of age.

  • Having one spare bedroom means the rent on which your housing payment is calculated will be reduced by 14%.
  • Have two or more spare bedrooms means the rent on which your housing payment is calculated will be reduced by 25%

Find out more about Bedroom Tax

Benefit cap

There is a limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get. This is called the benefit cap.

If you are affected, your Housing Benefit payment will go down, so that the total amount of benefits you receive will not be more than the cap level. If you are already receiving Universal Credit, the reduction will be taken from the housing element (no reduction will be made to the childcare element).

If you are a pensioner, you will not be affected. You can use the benefit cap calculator to estimate how much you might lose.

Money advice

We are committed to helping you if you are struggling with your finances.
Here are some helpful websites:


  • Advice Guide - online money help from the Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • Civil Legal Advice - Check to see if you are able to get free and confidential advice as part of legal aid.
  • StepChange Debt Charity - a registered charity offering free, confidential advice and support to anyone who is worried about debt.
  • HM Revenue & Customs - find out more about the tax credits and benefits you may be entitled to.
  • EntitledTo - find out exactly what tax credits and benefits you are entitled to by filling in this online form.
  • National Debtline - free debt advice and support for people with money worries and debt problems.
  • The Money Charity - is a national money education charity which aims to help people handle their money well
  • AdviceUKAdviceUK is the UK's largest support network for free, independent advice centres. 
  • Christians Against Poverty - Free local services, run through local churches, to help tackle poverty.

Shared ownership customers

If you are a Shared Ownership customer you may be entitled to help with your money. Local authorities provide a service to find out if you can claim for financial support for the rent part of your lease.

Get in touch with your local authority to find out more.




Additional help with housing costs - Discretionary Housing Payments

In special circumstances local authorities can make a Discretionary Housing Payment to give extra help with rent. If the amount you get from Universal Credit or Housing Benefit is not enough to meet your rent, you can apply for a DHP.

If you have rent arrears that are preventing you from moving to a more affordable property or you want to move but can't afford the rent deposit, rent in advance or moving costs, your local authority can help with DHP.

Each application is assessed based on the applicant's individual circumstances - to find out more visit your local authority's website and look for discretionary payments.